View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lizatola

Handling worry, anxiety, and fear

I am really struggling right now with handling my worry. My son has a skin condition that erupted after a stomach virus we both got and it's causing his skin on his hands and feet to peel deeply. I posted about it recently. Right now, we are still planning on going to FL, we have family to visit, cities to visit, pictures to take, etc and I'm sure we can make use of our time even if he's not healthy enough for tennis.

I am worrying over his future, praying that I'm handling his learning disabilities appropriately, hoping that I choose the right reading program, praying that the working memory training I'm signing him up for is worth all the cost of the program. Turning my decisions over to God and waiting for an answer as to whether I should hold him back or try part time in the very expensive private school that works with LD kids? I feel like a ship without a sail, just bobbing alone on the ocean waiting for the wind to guide me to my destination. UGH.

I worry about health issues for all of us, about the dog when I leave him with AH, about my own health sometimes too. Honestly, I've always been a bit of a worrier, ruminating over stuff that I know I have no control over. This all has gotten worse since the dog attack. I can't seem to shake it. My AH was watching a movie where a woman was being held at knife point by a guy and she was screaming and I felt this unbelievable fear rising up inside of me and I felt like I couldn't catch my breath. I had to leave the room. Her scream reminded me of my own cries and screams from that night, it's weird. Although, I've never really cared for movies where people are tortured, murdered, etc. anyway.

So, other than medication: what can I do? I'm trying to get better about calling my sponsor. I'm working hard at journaling and I started doing a 5 minute meditation every day to help me with breathing and, well, meditation in general.