Old 07-01-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bigsombrero

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
Re-entry always sucks... I hear you on the unrealistic plans. I know I've mentioned I've done a lot of moving in and out of the country and yet somehow I never learn that very basic lesson, so I think you've got a leg up by recognizing that. Setting realistic expectations is so important.

Also, I don't know if this is the case for you since I know you've done a lot of traveling, but one thing that I often see trip people up is when they have a very separate home life from travel life. If your existing friends haven't done much traveling, meetup.com, grubwithus.com and couchsurfing.com are nice ways to meet people who enjoy talking about culture and places. It's always nice to have people who understand that when you describe the setting of a story you're giving context, not trying to sound exotic.

Finally, and this is just my cheesy self, but I like to have little talismans to anchor me. This isn't travel-specific but it sometimes is. I'll get a special piece of jewelry or a small object to symbolize a certain realization or awareness that I've reached, and then keep it with me for a while. That way when I find myself losing that "birds eye view" perspective on life and getting caught in the day-to-day, I have something physical to remind me of those ideas.

Good luck!!
Your words of wisdom aren't going unnoticed!

Thing is, I'm not really "traveling" per se, I am just...living here. I'm not in Guatemala to travel around and take pictures and have amazing experiences...I'm just living here. I had an apartment here last month, and this month I just went down to the beach and lived in a town for $7 bucks per night. When I meet travelers here, they always want to know where I'm going or what I've seen, and when I tell them I'm just here to "live here" sometimes even they don't get it. This isn't a once-in-a-lifetime experience, etc, etc. I might never come here again, but I don't treat it like that.

It is really hard for my old friends to comprehend, in fact it's impossible. In their minds I should be building something. I told one friend that I turned down a job here, and she said "Oh I'm sorry, you will find what you are looking for someday". As if I am on some quest and looking for answers.

All those who wander are not lost.

I don't consider my life exotic at all (today I went and got coffee, then came home, checked the internet and then went to get a sandwich. LOL) Thanks for those web recommendations, BTW.

As for the little token, yeah I like that idea. Sometimes I carry around foreign cash (weird I know) so when I look in my wallet I always see a reminder I am doing the same things, just in different places. But a little ******** might be more practical than accidentally pulling out some Quetzales when I'm trying to pay for my Fiber One bars at the supermarket.