Thread: Newbie
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dbaguy

Originally Posted by wylderose View Post
Just left a relationship due to alcohol/pot addiction. Dealing with heartache and loneliness but taking care of myself in healthy ways, including my meditation practice, reading dozens of books, articles, blogs, and websites on the subject. I fell in love big time, and it doesn't happen often for a widow of 66. So now, I'm here for support: both to give and to receive. Am learning a lot. Some days I have perspective and some acceptance. Other days, like yesterday, I can only cry. Didn't know I was capable of so many tears. But the emotional catharsis helps, too. In some ways, it's good that we have had a long distance relationship. I live in OR and he lives in CA. It made it easier for ABF to hide out, but our real-time, in person relationship revealed the extend of the problem. I am also in an addiction recovery book circle through my Buddhist sangha. Extremely helpful for me to look at my OWN addiction/compulsion around the relationship. I thought I went to learn about HIM, but, of course, it's about me, too. thanks for being here, all your courageous people!
Welcome to the forum fellow Oregonian! I've found a great deal of wonderful people in my short time here. Just know that what you are doing is good for YOU and that you need to focus on your own happiness and health . You might swing by the "Friends and Family of Alcoholics" forum as I think you will find a lot of people dealing with very similar issues in their lives.

Keep your chin up and keep smiling!