View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Tuffgirl

Patience and Faith in the Universe

My older daughter has always wanted a Mini Cooper. Today, we bought one for her (I co-signed for her to finance it).

We looked at it on Saturday, and tried one deal which was not accepted by the dealership. We went home, talked together, talked to her Dad, talked to my bank and insurance company, and worked another deal that was accepted today. She had to wait all day yesterday and all morning today to see if it was still available AND if the dealer would take our offer. It was a lesson in patience and faith...a painful lesson!

It got me thinking...of how many times I've told folks here to be patient and have faith all will work out as it is supposed to. To consider timing in the mix. To recognize that if something doesn't work out right now, doesn't mean it won't work out EVER. And of course, that more will be revealed.

So many times we (people in general) want to rush things and let our own anxiety overwhelm us. We want answers NOW. Action NOW. Promises NOW (and promises kept forever). We want to know, want guarantees, assurances. We want to predict the future.

Well, I can assure you that having patience and faith really does work. The sense of serenity I had while working out the details of this car purchase that comes with simply knowing that if this is meant to be, it will work out in my favor, was amazing!!! It really is that simple!

Yes, this is a minor situation compared to those struggling within their relationships with alcoholics. I know the anxiety well of feeling very insecure in my own marriage to my A. Of fearing the potential that was my future. I wanted guarantees too. I came here looking for reassurance. I found patience and faith instead. And I honestly believe the latter has served me far better than the former. Instead of getting what I needed right then, I got new coping skills that will last a lifetime; a very serene, relaxed lifetime.

Try it - next time something happens where what you want is on the line, try to allow yourself to believe that what is meant to happen, will. And when it does, you will be a-ok dealing with it then. Let go of the outcome, knowing there is always something bigger or better on the horizon, be it a Mini Cooper, a bigger house, a new love interest, or long-lasting sobriety.

Trust me, you will be amazed too!

Peace all,
~T