View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 09:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
legna

Originally Posted by izzyrose05 View Post
We do not believe the higher power is a third and separate being. We believe that God is us, as us. All of us. We are all peace and love and energy. How in the heck does that work with twelve steps? WE are God through love. I don't give it up TO god, because god lives within me AS me, AS love. I don't know how to do this in the traditional way. I am confused. I am powerless over his addiction. I can only work on me. But I don't give anything up to a third party to guide me. I guide me. With love and light. So, I pray to the universe. But no GOD. No "person" no specific "being".

I genuinely want to work these steps. Are there any Buddhists out there who can help me?
The anthropomorphic nature of 'Higher Power as you understand Him' is a certainly a challenge. I don't want to shortchange any answer or suggestions that I give you by ignoring the particular Buddhist tradition you follow and so it might be helpful to know which sect you ascribe to. For instance, if a Buddhist in a Buddhist country were to pick up two books in the Christian section of the bookstore - he or she might find one written by a Mormon and the other by a Catholic and they would be nothing alike - they would seem like two different religions. Likewise the suggestion I might make to a Theravada Buddhist would not be the right suggestion to a Tibetan Buddhist.

That said, I personally do not pray at all - to me there is nothing to pray to. Yet, I do commune with my higher power. Which I more or less look at as you do, i.e.
We believe that God is us, as us. All of us. We are all peace and love and energy. WE are God through love. I don't give it up TO god, because god lives within me AS me, AS love.
Here is where I differ: While a subtle difference it allowed me to move forward... My higher power is me minus me. Basically, me minus ego. When I remove legna from the equation, when I remove my physical body, my ego, the self - then whatever is left is the true me...except the word 'me' no longer makes sense. When I meditate, legna wanes and what is left without legna waxes.

I'm going to stop there for now, see if we are on the same page and then continue, so if you could comment on this it'll help me proceed. In the meantime, keep hopeful...if I can find a way, you can too. It might not be the same path but regardless, you'll find one that works for you and you are not alone.