View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 01:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
jellicology

Smile AVRT for newbies (Like myself)

Hi all,
I would like to start this tread for anyone who has just recently discovered AVRT and SR. I am a 25 year old male from Pakistan who was badly hooked to heroin for about 2 years before which I was using other drugs but not in an addictive fashion. I tried to quit on my own but the withdrawals kept me from doing so. I tried to make a big plan on my own but did not know what it really was. I ended up going to a rehab where I was detoxed for 2 weeks and while I was there I was introduced to the 12 step program. I had never heard of anything crappier in my addictive life (IMO, it has helped many people that I know but I can only express myself here, no offence to anyone else). So many contradictions and inferiority complex laced thoughts kept me from succeeding at the program. I was told in rehab that will power was a trap and that so much more had to be done and done everyday to stay sober. I tried to believe that and I honestly worked on the other alternate programs. When my 2 weeks were up, I came out of rehab with the sole statement ruling my mind that 'I would never use drugs again. Rain, hail, sleet, snow, it did not matter. I was done.' I still attended the follow ups and played along with the 12 step program but the only thing that kept me secure was my own decision. I saw as others in my group practicing 12 steps fell left and right while I soared ahead. My psychologist was surprised that I was so motivated and doing so well without the 12 steps and he wanted to know my secret, but I felt that telling him would only create an argument. I managed to stay sober for a year and a half before I started a job where the person next to me turned out to be a junkie. I resisted for a couple of days but then one fine day gave in without realizing what had happened. I now know that I had forgotten my own statement; especially the part of never changing my mind. I relapsed and then got fired. After that I stayed home for another month without even leaving to go to the store or anything and I could not figure out what went wrong. I began questioning my method. I started thinking that I can never achieve complete sobriety as I don't understand and follow the 12 step program and thus there is no way out for me. I started to attend NA meetings again only to realize how lonely I felt there. I heard so much talk about an addictive voice in that program which was the only part I could identify with, but I could never digest all that talk about a higher power ruling my life and being helpless and needing something to do regarding recovery everyday. So I started to look for alternatives to the 12 steps and landed on the 16 step program, the AVRT and SR. I have finally found something that has worked for me without ever realizing it and something that I will once again put into practice. Not failing again. For now, I know what has to be done and I will do it.
So here I am, creating this forum for anyone who can identify with my situation and can help me understand AVRT better. I live in a country where AVRT has not even been considered let alone developed. I lack the resources and the texts to become fully aware of what has to be done. So if anyone can help me with that issue then please do. I would greatly appreciate an links and as much knowledge about AVRT and SR as you can throw my way. I will regularly update is forum and share my thoughts and experiences. There is so much I have to say but I will ration it out.
Thanks to anyone who can and will help me out or will share their own thoughts with me.
Cheers,
Jelly.