View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

I remember when I got divorced from my second husband (I represented myself, prepared all the paperwork, all he had to do was sign), he told me (in a rather haughty way) that he would sign IF I ceased using his "family name." (And it isn't as if his name were Rockefeller or anything.) I told him, "Eff you, FYI I can call myself anything I want. Sign, don't sign, up to you. This is happening either way." He signed.

Here's what's so damn annoying about names. My maiden name was a rather simple Scandanavian name. I got married to husband #1 before I started law school, so my law license was in that name--a long-ish Polish name--which I kept up until my divorce was final, a few months before I married husband #2. I went through all the trouble of changing my name, announcing it at work, going through the Supreme Court's procedures to change my license. Husband #2's name was more euphonious, sounded good with my first name. When that marriage tanked, shortly after it happened, I moved back to my old job and started back to work with #2's name. When the divorce finally happened, my first husband had remarried, and his new wife used his name.

So my choices were (a) switch to a maiden name, under which I had NEVER practiced, making that my second change to a different name within a space of less than two years, (b) go back to using my first husband's name, which seemed weird because we were no longer married and he had a new wife using the same name, or (c) taking the path of least resistance, keeping the name I then had and continuing to practice under it, just because I had already gone to the trouble of changing it and because it sounded good with my first name. See what I mean? No really good choices. Anyway, I went with (c), and it's been almost fifteen years since the last divorce, so I don't see my changing it again.

Unless it's to Rockefeller.