Thread: done
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 04:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
hypochondriac

Originally Posted by jstar View Post
I want to come here and post that I've made it past my delusional thinking in light of all the crap that I've gone through because of my drinking. ...but that would be a lie. I thought I had such a great spiritual experience last weekend that I was sure I could shake this ridiculous thinking that's been swirling in my head...but i didn't.
Okay, so where does it say that we have get rid of our delusional thinking? I am not sure my delusional thinking has ever gone away. It has certainly gotten less persistent with my ongoing sobriety but I don't think it ever goes away.

I guess what I am saying is that you don't need to get rid of those thoughts in order to be sober. You know this. You have been sober for long stretches at a time and you were okay right? It may not always be comfortable but it's not really like something catastrophic is going to happen if you don't drink. I had a little mantra early on, that no matter what happened, no matter how bad it got, just don't drink. I swear the first few days/weeks were agony. I felt like I was forcing myself to do something that was totally against my nature. Even months down the line it felt pretty weird. I felt pretty weird. I kept wondering when it would get better. My mind kept telling me I was better off when I was drinking, and it was right in some ways. But I stuck it out and it got better. I tried viewing it as an experiment. Sometimes I would tell myself, 'okay, I've been drunk for 12 years, lets see what life is like sober'. If you need to say one day at a time, or I'll commit to a year, then fine. Use every trick in the book to stick at it. Going backwards and forwards isn't teaching you anything.

No one can tell you what to do in order to make it work for you Jstar. All we can do is share our experience. But there are loads of people here and elsewhere who have been sober for years and are happy about it. Have some faith in the process and trust that it will improve if you stick with it. So far this is just a minor blip. Come clean and recommit to your sobriety. Don't let this turn into a biggy x