Thread: Step 8
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
legna

Originally Posted by nadaurz View Post
Is realizing this and letting go of the hatred making amends? I really don't know how to go about this. I know it's definitely not an "in person" amends as they are no longer in my life. Working this step has made me realize the importance of a sponsor, but unfortunately I don't have one and it just isn't possible right now. Thanks for your input!
You've hit on something important again in this post; this time regarding sponsorship. I've walked people through the steps before but honestly, I have no idea what to tell you at this point because you and I don't have history through the rest of your steps. I might suggest that one person 'go about this' completely different than the next based on what I have learned about the person through working the steps up until this time with them.

That said, very little harm can come from you praying for them to receive all you wish for yourself and more (assuming that you are religious and believe in prayer). You may not wish it for them now, and find that the words stick in your throat or feel dishonest. In that case I would pray for the willingness to wish for them all the good things in life. Pray every day for them for a month... if you are sincere, even if you only sincerely wish that you were willing...you will very likely experience a change. I've never met one who hasn't and I've been around for a while.

And, just a little personal share... I'm an atheist, so prayer didn't work for me, but I nevertheless spent some time meditating on those who harmed me. Within my list was the folks who left me a sexual abuse survivor and those who tortured me during my time in the military. In every case, I have gotten to the point where I wish I could let these people know that I forgive them so that they don't have to carry the burden of what they did around any longer. I really have forgiven them...and they, nor the past, has any hold on me any longer.

They may not deserve your forgiveness, but you deserve to be free from the resentment. Do it for you. Tomorrow you may find that you too are doing it for them. *hugs*

P.S. If no one has told you today that they are proud of you for attacking your step work so diligently...I am.