View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

Dear lostmunki---Without sugar-coating anything--let me say it this way:

WARNING, DANGER!!! HEARTBREAK AHEAD

You are fortunate that you have been given an early and clear lesson as to the insidiousness of this disease and how it can affect you--even in a very short time.

Make no mistake--a committed relationship with an alcoholic is not the same as a relationship with a "normie". Even those who have made it do not do so easily and without some collateral damage. It is not for the faint-hearted--trust me!

Here is the biggest kicker---Love is not enough. Most everyone on this forum did or does love their qualifier.

If you care about him as a person--consider making a break with the intimate nature of the relationship until he has had at least one or two years of uninterrupted sobriety in the program. This is the standard advice that is given to the devastated and heart-broken wives. You can imagine how hard it is for THEM.

You need to avail yourself of an education about this disease and any co-dependent tendencies that you may have. Please read the stories of the others--and the stickies at the top of this main page. You have been given a great window of opportunity--for now and into your future.

I am glad you came here. Hang around!!! You definitely are n ot alone.

dandylion