View Single Post
Old 06-08-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
mstrust

i agree more with this theory about the brain than i do with theories using the 'reptilian brain' as the seat of addiction. if the reptilian brain is responsible for involuntary bodily activities like breathing and the heart beating than it stands to reason it is not in 'control' of addiction. using drugs/alcohol/nicotine/caffeine, whatever...this is a voluntary activity when it all comes down. i fully agree that there usually is some underlying mental illness present that needs to be worked out, and by saying it's voluntary in no way do i mean to imply that breaking free of addiction is as simple as saying, well, i won't be doing that anymore.

i don't necessarily trust addicts in recovery either. i think they're unpredictable. but then again, so are all humans, i suppose. maybe there is a connection between the percentage of people who will become addicted to a substance and what values people hold and what they find to be their biggest motivators. sounds like it would make a good research topic in sociology or psychology. sometimes i think regardless of the presence of drugs in his life, my addict would still have difficulty with the truth and would still be impulsive and self-destructive.

i agree a great deal with what you said about recovery being a "spiritual miracle". it feels a lot like that to me. especially lately.