Old 06-05-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Tuffgirl

But you are reacting emotionally right now. It doesn't matter if its in front of him or not. He can still get you, and he knows it. That's the point we are making.

Of course it hurts. Although my girls' Dad is not a narcissist or an addict, he is still emotionally unavailable to my girls and that hurts too. They are 16 and 19 now and believe me, they know who the real hands-on parent is. They know who to turn to if they need anything aside from money.

Thing is - acceptance to what is is all anyone is trying to communicate here. You can't change this...and as much as it sucks...this is your reality and your girls reality. It is one of the reasons I've talked about moving...I found it best to be away from the source of pain so I moved and have no regrets about it. The girls see him during times that are convenient to him and he can make short-term efforts easily. Long-term is a whole 'nother story, so why even bother was my thinking. I have them 90% of the time. His 10% is quality, thankfully, but that is the best he can do. My girls know this now. They've known it for a long time, to be honest.

Lastly, I would humbly remind you that Father's Day hasn't happened yet, and if there is one thing you can count on from this guy - it him changing things up whenever he feels like it. Try not to future-trip this. He may actually come through with something nice for the girls, or he may be completely absent. Either way, you are a great Mom, and you will handle this brilliantly with your girls.