View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
BlueSkies1

I will continue to be the "black sheep" here on this thread.

I keep thinking about this lifelong condemnation without chance for change, this one stroke of a pen, and this psychologist that has labeled Liz's husband as NPD, unrepairable--for life, to never understand nor feel true compassion, empathy, sympathy, and with that condemnation, basically unfit for relationships with other humans.
And I think to myself--No one single person on this planet has the right to be his higher power. No one psychologist on this planet, or even a group of psychologists, has the right to say that he will NEVER change, or, ANY of us will never change.
There are no nevers on this planet. Everyone is capable of change.
Why am I coming to his defense? I'm not really...I'm coming to the defense of mankind, and that includes me, you, and all those who don't read this. EVERYONE.

Psychology is an inexact science at best. Psychologists are other humans, not gods. Psychologists can do a lot of good, or a lot of harm. Psychologists/psychiatrists, have made errors, agreed? Revamped what is acceptable treatment, changed their methods over the centuries. They are mere humans too.
I will go so far as to say that I think it is arrogant to label someone as "unable to change for the rest of their life".
If nothing else, I would want several "experts" to come to the same conclusion, that he has NPD traits (which by the way we all do to some extent, there are extreme cases yes).
If it were me with such a diagnosis, I would fight it. I can't help but seeing myself in his shoes. Such a label! Such condemnation! We are merely humans, with very limited knowledge about the human brain, no matter what "expert" label one of us has been given in the psychology community, no matter what awards, PhD's, hang on the office wall.
Ok, rant over.
Now I hope in time Liz will update us on what he actually does after receiving this label.