Thread: Encouargement?
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013, 12:43 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I agree with Dandylion definitely start contacting some agencies and they can also help with the 'Medicare' as since your dad is blind and your mom had senile dementia, will pay for, if 'ordered' by a doctor up to 28 hours a week 'home health care help' which can and does mean a 'housekeeper' of sorts, that can take them grocery shopping and/or doctor visits, etc. Look into meals on wheels for both of them. They will still feel like they have their 'independence' but will have someone that checks on them. Oh and if they don't use the total 28 hours a week (and that is for each of them so would be 56 hours a week, or up to 9 hours a day, lol) they 'accumulate' in their 'file' so that should there be a hospital stay or a procedure they will have 'hours' that can be used for someone being there 24/7 for a bit. And the 'individual' agencies that are 'approved' by Medicare have agreed to accept whatever Medicare pays them, and not bill the client for the balance.

You my friend, are suffering BURNOUT. I know, I had my own 'private home health care business for years. And the hospice here, rotates their nurses that after 6 months in the field, they come and work in the office for 6 months, then back out, etc. Same thing with the nurses and CNA's that work in their residental home. 6 months in the home, then 6 months in the office.

By doing the above you will be able to eliminate some of the 'necessary' trips and go when you feel like just 'visiting' with your parents. That will give you some 'me time' in which at first, I suggest you do absolutely nothing. sit or lie on the couch watching some funny program, or just SLEEP to refresh your body. You do need some 'down time' for you. And with some 'down time' here and there, you will start to feel like you are no longer operating in a fog, your brain will be much clearer which in turn will allow you to figure out more ways for some 'down time.' It can become a 'good' "Catch 22"!

We are here for you! And we do care!!!

Love and hugs,