View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

In my opinion, ChipShopChips, SMART and AVRT are completely fine together, wholly miscible and entirely compatible. Part of AVRT's mantra is not so much that AVRT is sufficient for sobriety, but that we are sufficient for sobriety. That confidence in self and our ability must be set to max. The CBT tools used by SMART can really help to build this confidence.

I would be interested to know, once you have become a SMARTie, how you see AVRT fitting in. For example, I did a cost benefit sort of thing very early in my sobriety, maybe the first day, it played a major role in leading me to the place where I could make my own Big Plan. There was not a single reason to continue drinking, lots of reasons to stop, no downside to sobriety and a million reasons to be sober. The Big Plan was just the reasonable thing to do after looking at it like that, it would be foolish to do otherwise, and I was dang tired of being a fool.

The AVRT really shines within the SMART framework in the dealing-with- urges aspect. SMART says to listen to the voices in your head and build up the rational voice while dismissing the enemy voice that encourages us to drink. Sounds very familiar to me.

I also understand that SMART suggests we take up activities that develop and require mastery, Vital Absorbing Creative Interests, and this in my experience just adds to the fun and fulfillment of a sober life.

My advice is to do it all for your sobriety, but make it as easy and fun for yourself as possible. After all, this is why we are choosing sobriety right? Go get that better life that is waiting for you. As SMART says, Happiness is a planned activity, so go ahead and make that Big Plan. Onward!