View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MsGrace

I need your help, please

I haven't been here for a long time. Briefly, my husband relapsed after a 15 year sobriety two years ago. The ensuing hell was nothing I ever hope to go through ever again. It took a year and $30,000 to save myself and my home from his attempts to take it. We were only married 6 years.

SO

He became dually addicted during the divorce .... both alcohol and vicodin. He subsequently lost his job, his car, all his friends and everything in life he had. He finally surrendered, checked himself into medical detox and has been in an adult recovery center for 4 months. He claims to be sober 4 months so far.

He contacted me (first contact since he went in) and asked to see me. He's working step 4. I know how important step 4 is, (I was very involved with Al Anon through the thick of this). I agreed to see him, to hear what he has to say.

What is the best way to have this conversation that will leave a firm boundary for me, and yet support him in his recovery? I've thought and thought about it....and I know there is a right way and a less right way to do this. Can you give me your best advice on how both of us can get the most benefit from the opportunity?

Thank you in advance...you are my family....I've gotten so much help and support from all of you when I was so suffering.