View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Chipshopchips

Smart Recovery and AVRT combined

Hi Everyone!

I haven't posted here much but I've been reading lots of threads and taken great inspiration from many of you. You've been a massive help in my battle to beat this booze addiction so thank you.

I came across AVRT thanks to this part of SR and it was a revelation - just what I've been looking for all my drinking life. Non-religious, rational, acknowledging the answer is in my own head which is what I believed all along. I had some success practising the AVRT techniques but it hasn't translated into long term sobriety. I have no doubts that the technique is sound and that I need to keep practising and return to my Big Plan.

However, I've just noticed that there is a Smart Recovery meeting in my town, tomorrow in fact. I'm thinking of giving it a go but I'm conscious that in the Rational Recovery book Mr Trimpey says that I don't need to change any other areas of my life or try any other methodologies as AVRT is all I need. I don't want to dilute the impact of the AVRT approach by trying other things. But I've also noticed that I'm missing some motivation to keep my beast at bay. Despite a court appearance this week my mind (or rather, beast) is still saying that giving in to drink and the beast is fine because drink isn't a problem in my life. Part of me thinks that some extra tools like a cost benefit analysis etc would help in my defeating of the beast.

So would it help to do both? Does anyone have any experience of using both at the same time without one compromising the other?