View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
munchkin05

I hope so Pond. Hubby is putting in a job application for one up in Fairbanks but we like them both. Both has their pluses or minuses, pros and cons. Fairbanks is a small town with a small town feel. Everyone knows everyone and everyone helps everyone out, more or less but you have the extreme temperatures on both sides (summer and winter) and you have a lot more forest fires.
Anchorage is a big city with a big city feel, gorgeous scenery, a bit more fast paced, a lot more traffic and a lot more of the lower 48 folk (which sourdoughs don't like as much because they are very whiney. Whining about not being able to put your trash out the night before, whining about the wildlife, whining about the moose blocking their road, blah blah blah)
People in Alaska don't really like to whine a whole lot, nor do they tend to whine a whole lot.
We all make jokes about our state bird (mosquitos), we all joke about the cold weather or how people in the lower 48 news get shocked because Tok Alaska hit -66. Most people up there just shrug and go "c'est la vie"

The little characters I was referring to were the little women, sitting meditating
Oh gotcha!

I might have had a crush when I was around 8 but I don't really recall.
The nice thing is at this point our son is still so innocent. He's still at the age where the thought of kissing another girl grosses him out, hugging he likes though but then he hugs everyone (his best friends are included). He's been written up for that because the teacher and us have had to explain to him over and over that not everyone likes to be hugged.

I meant to get a bit of exercise last night when I got home. Was going to try Yoga but instead got caught up putting the new seat covers in my jeep. Now that they are conforming to the seats themselves they are looking rather nice. DH helped a lot for which I am grateful but the rear ones he kind of half a$$ed because I was talking to the neighbor about the jeep while he did it. I don't blame him in a way because I was not actively helping at that point but I'm going to have to tighten it later on.
I want to make sure the rear seat is completely protected because I KNOW how DS is. He'll make a massive mess!

Parents.....do you suppose most couple end up at odds with each other? I surely hope not
That one is hard to say really. At one point right after I moved out, brother moved out, Dad got a good paying job in DC that he didn't really like but hey it was a job, my Mom was working full time too, they were living in the suburbs of DC and I think life was somewhat peaceful for them. I remember in my early twenties Mom never really complained like she does now, they seemed to be happy. I think much of that changed when first Mom just walked away from a manager job because they were not giving her what she wanted (they were trying to cut her hours) and then she started another job that was like an admin job, part time and she hated it.
From that point she seemed to go downwards while pulling Dad along for the ride.
Dad started hating life at that point, he hated his job, hated coming home to a wife that was already half drunk, and I think when he quit he was at the end of his rope. I don't think my Mom realizes even to this day how close he was to just either ending it with a bullet or divorcing her and leaving.
I think now, when he goes off and golfs all day, its his way of distancing himself from my Mom because he doesn't know what else to do, how else to fix it.
He hasn't gotten that he can't exactly "fix" this situation and of course he has not accepted that Mom is an alcoholic.
Until Mom wakes up, accepts it, I think the situation will remain and possibly worsen.
I would hope that most couples do not end up at odds with each other.
I say that now because, of course, I'm thinking of hubby and I.
I would hope that in 20 years, when our son has graduated and we're celebrating our 40th anniversary we're still as close as ever.
But then, we have many of the same interests, enjoy a lot of the same stuff, yada yada yada.
And of course the biggie. I woke up and am still awake.
I'm no longer walking around like a zombie, in an alcohol induced sleep.

Well have to run, still have work to do here in the office.
Still here, still sober.