Thread: Encouargement?
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Jad3d

She will keep repeating the same things over and over until she commits to recovery - but she has to recover from alcoholism and BPD, she can't do one without the other.

I took a completely different approach, both with my A mother and my xabf. I just let them do what they wanted to do. They wanted to drive? I wouldn't stop it. They didn't go to work because they were too drunk from the night before - hey, that's their choice.

I tried in the beginning to save them from themselves and then I learned (from here and my therapist) that as long as I tried to control their actions and take responsibility for them - they could never do it themselves.

It won't feel worth it until you feel the benefits of leaving the eye of the storm. Everything feels so chaotic right now and your mind and your heart are at war with each other. Your mind is adamant you cannot do this anymore (the relationship), your heart is saying you love this woman and that means loving all of her, that to abandon her would be wrong. Let's put this in perspective - she has already abandoned you. Every time she picks up the bottle and choose that over you, every day she chooses not to get help, she abandons you.

Stick to that evidence - base everything on facts. It is the only way to truly see her for what she is. Consider the cycles, write it down. Remind yourself of the things she says and how it makes you feel (that's an important one!) Then consider, if a perfect stranger came up to you and did those things, would you consider them as a lover or as a friend?

Would you waste your time getting to know them? I realise you feel you have made an investment in this relationship, and you have. But the biggest investment you can make is in yourself - and that's a relationship worth fighting for. This battle has already been fought, lost, and fought again. Put down your weapons, walk away from the field and embrace the peace - it is out there!