View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Tryingtoletgo3

"It doesn't mean my choices at the time were bad, or stupid, or that I am responsible for the actions of others: we aren't born with knowledge, we pick it up on the way through the journey.

I got involved with and had children with a physically, emotionally and sexually abusive alcoholic. Go me for choosing great genetics for my kids (he has good teeth though). I won't ever again though. I can trust my gut, protect myself and my children, i know how to draw boundaries, I know how to not get into and get out of a relationship with an abusive person (something we all think we know until we are there and suddenly it really isn't as simple as it looks from outside - go figure)."

Exactly!! Well said!
I love the genetics part...A coworker of mine always tells me, "think twice about who you make babies with." So true. I think about the mental health issues on top of the alcoholism that can rear their ugly heads with my sons thanks to dads gene pool and it makes me want to cry at times. Luckily, we have the knowledge and power to take steps from an early age with our children to help them control and understand the addictive personalities they may be genetically carrying around.