Old 05-28-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kindeyes

None of us can understand the internal struggle of another person......not even someone we're very close to.

i support his recovery....while i also focus on my own recovery which is my addiction to him and my codependency. my boundaries are firm...and we are taking it all one day at a time.
I think that's a huge positive factor. I do believe that an addict has a better chance of success when the people around them (most specifically codependents) are working a program as well. Not because they are doing something to help him with his recovery but because they aren't doing the things that inadvertently support his addiction. In addition, there is a common language spoken when you both attend your own meetings.

keep in mind that my husband has been through hell and back before he decided to get clean....
Spiritual awakening.......

he makes it seem like it was not that hard for him to quit coke...and i dont want to be fooled again. i read that it was one of the hardest to shake...and yet his drug tests keep coming up neg.
Accept it for what it is. The "waiting for the other shoe to drop" is a form of projecting into the future. Enjoy the serenity today.....one day at a time. You are better equipped today to handle anything that may (or may not) happen in the future.

My son carried his 4 month chip with him through six more years of horrible, devastating, progressive active addiction. I understood that he truly valued those four months clean and sober. That little chip gave me hope in some pretty dark times.

I'm so glad to hear that your husband is working his program.....six months is a huge accomplishment for him! It sounds like he's working his program and you are working yours. Enjoy. Be happy. Stay in today. Keep taking care of you.

And thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts. My son graduates from his six month program tomorrow. I needed to write those words above to myself today.....because I understand how you are feeling. I'm feeling that way too (not the "easy" part but definitely the wondering about relapse issue......very Codie thinking on my part!). I'll work on staying in today too!

gentle hugs
ke