Thread: Encouargement?
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 02:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
lillamy

I hope the long weekend wasn't too painful for you. There are so many painful parts to dealing with the alcoholism of someone you love or used to love or whatever (even if your feelings for them are a muddled mess).

I think growing up with alcoholic parents probably means that you (like me - although for me it was aunt & uncle that we practically lived with) have learned a whole bunch of whacky, unhealthy, and unhelpful (especially to you) survival strategies. Unlearning them and replacing them with healthy ones is for me happening through a combination of AlAnon meetings & program, counseling/therapy, reading and posting here, and reading an awful lot about how addiction impacts us in the family.

Letting go of feeling responsible for another person's addiction and life was hard for me. Not pitying them and wondering if I had indeed done everything I could for them was, too.

The odd thing is that in all of that concern and worry and pain and fighting this monster that addiction is... I missed the fundamentally life changing impact it had on me. Sure, I knew that I had changed during my marriage to an A but I didn't realize that everything in my life circled around his drinking and drunken behaviors. Everything.

Recreating my life after an alcoholic marriage is a process that isn't only painful though. And that's the main thing I wanted to relay from my experience. There is hope and beauty and life to be had on this side. Hard work. But I have a feeling you're used to hard work already. And this time, you're doing it for someone who will appreciate it - yourself.