Old 05-28-2013, 01:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Miller05

6 month chip from AA - it can't be this easy?

hello everyone...my husband received his 6 month clean and sober chip from aa last week. he was very emotional when he received it. in our kitchen he has the serenity prayer posted on the wall with tape...and then attached to it is the welcome keychain from aa and the 6 month chip. he attends the aa meetings on saturday....and now has started to attend the aftercare program offered by the outpatient rehab center he recently graduated from.

my husband is an alcoholic and a coke addict. he also was using xanax. as you know, he has been doing all of this for years....i just learned the ugly truth about the extent of his drug problem last summer.

i support his recovery....while i also focus on my own recovery which is my addiction to him and my codependency. my boundaries are firm...and we are taking it all one day at a time.

but what am i missing? i cant be this "easy." it seems like once he stopped drinking...the coke usage and other drugs stopped. i keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. i cannot control his use at all...i get that. but isnt it suppose to be extremely difficult to stop using? he has made some serious life changes....no longer friends with people who use....yoga every morning...aa...all of that.

but i keep waiting for a relapse.....the na meetings i attend say that relapse it part of recovery.

it just seems like my husband made all these life changes.....and doesnt seem to have the cravings that i read about all the time...or repeated relapses.

and i KNOW that he did a lot of coke. he kept a job and was functional...but he did coke almost everyday. and now...nothing.

is it suppose to be like this during the recovery process? and then crap will hit the fan again after a period of sobriety?

keep in mind that my husband has been through hell and back before he decided to get clean....

he makes it seem like it was not that hard for him to quit coke...and i dont want to be fooled again. i read that it was one of the hardest to shake...and yet his drug tests keep coming up neg.

thoughts?