View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
lillamy

My AXH was not only a drunk but also controlling, manipulative, and abusive. Part of that was denying me the right to have input in planning our life.

The first time he came home and showed me brochures from this new town where he had gotten a job offer, I thought it was exciting and would be fun to discuss the pros and cons about potentially moving. He accepted the job and informed me we were moving the following day. And so went our life. Whenever I had started putting down roots, making friends, getting comfortable (and there were people close enough that someone might realize he wasn't the career climbing young perfect professional he presented himself as), he quit his job, found another, and moved us.

I don't know that that is common. That deliberate keeping the wife isolated and off balance. But I hear from many AlAnon friends that their spouses sort of just make their plans and assume or demand the sober spouse agree. Not always out of spite but... Because they take for granted you're in agreement. And I know my AXH did too - because I often chose to not argue, because it was easier to let him decide. For the peace of the family.

That's one reason it took me long to be able to leave him. Because I didn't have the money to even rent an efficiency on the minor part time jobs I was able to pick up here and there.

For me, letting him decide and plan and going along prolonged my pain.