View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 10:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by fini View Post
what's interesting to me here is also how this is so entirely contradictory to how so many of us describe our own experiences. certainly MY experience was one of making the decision to never drink again, and then some time during that day or the next knowing i would buy booze on the way home from work. knowing it with certainty, but try as i might having no knowledge of how i reached that decision or ever deciding to buy it or ever going through anything resembling a struggle of any sort... i had suddenly decided without a conscious process.
this was desperately torturous to me.
This one paragraph strikes me as the best concise case I've ever seen to recommend AVRT. It simply screams of the desperate need addicted people have for some kind of traction to get a real grip on themselves in our society so full of recoveryism's one-day-at-a-time learned helplessness. It's interesting to note the paragraph is devoid of using any Technique of AVR, and shows the domination of the Beast over a human brain. I will not analyze the post with AVRT, although that would be a great exercise for anyone wanting to get better at AVRT.

I suppose I can imagine learning AVRT the way a secret agent might learn how not to cave in to divulging classified information if cornered by the enemy. "IT" wants you to drink. The enemy wants you to "spill the beans".

But I do feel like saying something about the Big Plan.

To me there is a great irony in the name Big Plan, because I believe that, except for one single quality, the Big Plan is quite tiny in all its other aspects.

It takes a very tiny amount of time to implement - about ten seconds, spoken slowly to self.
It takes a very tiny amount of energy to carry out - zero calories.
It takes a very tiny amount of intelligence to understand - small children learn "never"s quite regularly.
It is about NOT doing an extremely exacting behavior - ingesting an easily identified chemical into the blood.
It can only be done the tiniest number of times, ONCE - because a person cannot lie to him/herself. Yep, that's why.
It has a very tiny degree of respect in our society - because so many people lie TO OTHERS about having made it.
It elicits a very tiny amount of trust when shared with others - because other people cannot truly know if a person made the Big Plan.

Nevertheless, all these qualities of smallness are totally blown away by the one ultimate and vastly large quality of the Big Plan. It lasts forever, beyond even the age of the universe.
Any shorter time is not the Big Plan.

As I reminisce about how the Big Plan has worked for me. Ahhhhhh, what a gem of perfection it is. It has benefited me and freed up soooo much time. I love it. You can, too.