View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Received

RDB it been my experience some people have an imbedded need to question, critique, debate and try and create dissension with just about everything and everyone.

I have a relative like this and they have some weird and disconcerting need to be the "devils advocate". It used to drive me and the rest of our family and friends absolutely batty. No matter what we did (or said) it was always questioned, critiqued, compared and then the icing on the cake was the subtle conclusion that we were wrong...or bad...or confused. Everything we said was a veiled attempt to try and make us continually question ourselves or worse defend our thoughts, feelings or decisions. The funny thing is (or maybe not so funny) is my relative would pull these stunts and then sit back while the rest of us took the bait and started bickering in an attempt to try to make sense out of nonsense and then ask us why we were arguing.

I don't know why my relative does this, none of us do (and believe me we've beat that horse to death) but we've all come to agree it's best to say "you may be right" and then move the conversation along.

My point with this post is absolutely not to point a cyber finger at any one individual but to let you know that there are going to be some people we just don't get and defending yourself is totally not necessary. As my granny used to say "some people just can't stop themselves from comparing apples to airplanes".

I believe in you. You have always seemed to me to be a humble and genuine soul.

ETA: Robby's quote of Jack Trimpey and AVRT is a perfect explanation without comparison.