View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

I think it's an individual decision, Summer. I think you can continue to apply the Al-Anon principles in your life without attending meetings. You don't have to stop growing because you aren't going to meetings, either.

Just a couple of thoughts to consider--and this is not meant as a guilt-trip. Ultimately, we all have to do what is best for ourselves. Do you have newcomers at your meetings? Or is it usually the same group, over and over and over? If it's always the same people, maybe a group that meets at a hospital or rehab, where new people come in all the time, would be a refreshing change for you. Newcomers need to hear that there is HOPE. Not necessarily for the alcoholic, but for them. Your story of recovery could help them realize that there is a whole life out there for them waiting to be lived. After all, the Al-Anon message isn't that live can be grimly lived and suffered through. When I was new, I really looked up to those people who seemed to have REAL serenity in their lives, even when sad or upsetting things happened--and even if there were tears involved.