View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
MidnightBlue
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, EverySngleNight.

I hear you about your worries, some of my family-related memories still sting, hurt, and torture me. But.. There's a huge BUT... Before I quit I'd thought I would just die of pain when all these emotions start attack me again and I can't dumb my feeling with wine.

You know what? In sobriety I can cope with it so much better. I'm getting stronger. So are you. You can do this.

When waves of feelings are coming just let them go. They are just feelings and memories, and they have no power unless you grant them yours. Shift you focus to your future, health, baby, anything.

You are not a vulnerable kid any more. You are a strong grown-up person. Don't doubt this - you are. So you can set your own boundaries and protect your feelings. I know, it's damn hard with family. Been there, done that.

Long story short. Don't "demonize" your memories - they are powerless, actually.

You are here, in present tense. Sober.

And you can always excuse yourself for five minutes and pop in here and say "Help, need support right now" if anything goes wrong.

Take care)