View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
AnonK

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
you mentioned when you had your car accident you called everyone you knew for help. easiest way to make SURE you get the help you need is....good ole AAA. they WILL respond, they WILL come assist you. we need to learn to properly allocate our "need based" issues....house catches fire, we call the fire dept, get in a car wreck, call 911 and AAA or other coverage. health issue? go to the doctor. feeling the need for love and validation? look to OURSELVES. need help sorting out life's issues? get a good therapist. self sufficiency is about learning what resources work to our benefit....learning where to go for the things that ARE beyond our abilities.
I didn't have the money for AAA, and it wasn't a serious enough wreck to call 911. Plus, these services were created and are maintained by humans; which means they are not perfect and there's no guarantee that they WILL always be there to help.

I allocate my need based issues differently than others, because my needs are different than others. Even with self-sufficiency, you still need other people. This includes the need for love and validation (it does for me, at the very least). Sure, I provide some of it -- but a lot of it comes from elsewhere. And for me, that's okay.