View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 09:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
cb12

Finding a therapist

Hi All--
It's been quite a while since I've posted here. Logging on again, it was nice to see some "familiar faces" still here.

I've been okay recently, but I'm starting to manifest some health issues from my anxiety and stress (seems like Fibromyalgia, but no diagnosis yet). I was wondering, for those of you who have chosen to see a therapist, what are some specialties to look for? Am I looking for an Addiction and Recovery therapist? In my head, addiction would lean towards the addict, not the offspring/family. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. I live in Los Angeles county, if that helps... Or may there's already a thread for this? I've never done a therapist search before.

I want to talk to a therapist because I am in a situation where my mom (my usual confidante) can't advise me. I am used to having friends who "don't get it", but now my mother can't help either and she's infamous in our family for learning and reading all she can about addiction and codependency. I think she even got a certificate from the local university in addiction. Anyways, she can't help and I KNOW there's more that I should address with a therapist (other than the recent "episode"). Time to rip off those home-made bandages. (be ready for the "OUCH! OUCH! OUCH!" post to follow...).

Thanks y'all. I'm glad SR is still here and still as welcoming as ever.
CB