View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
joleah

Smile Sitting thinking

Just sitting here thinking I turned 59 this week 1 week sober today.I am from Scotland a culture steeped in alcohol my dad drank cheap wine and anything else he could get his hands on.My relatives used to come over when I was wee and booze it up in our house.Strangely my mother didn't drink.I remember taking a drink of cheap cider with my nephew who was 9mts younger than me when I was about 14 and we screwed up our faces and said it tasted rotten and we would never drink.He sadly choaked on his own vomit in an alcoholic daze at age 45.I remember clearly going into a bar at 17 and asking for a pint of beer the barman asking me what kind of beer.I was so naïve I didn't know there were different kindsBack then two pints and I was wasted.Now 40yrs later I wander how much time alcohol has robbed me of.I can honestly say its a waste of 40 yrs when I could have been so much more productive.There is an old saying .......TOO SOON OLD....AND TO LATE WISE....how true this is, alcohol has never realy made me truly happy it has only kept me from being happy by keeping me numb and destroying my ability to cope with lifes problems.Life has its ups and downs its hills and valleys.I can tell you after over 40 yrs a slave to it it does not help you can use the bottle but next morning your problems are still there only now you have a hangover to go with them.I am no expert and sorry for the ramble but expressing myself here is so very good for me it helps me see things from a different (sober ) perspective.God bless you all at SB