Thread: hello
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by rennn View Post
thankyou for the post
i want to quit but not sure about joining AA i live in a small town and feel really awkward about the meetings and stuff.
what i really need is to keep the thoughts fresh in my mind about what drinking is doing for me etc. because i have been at this point before many times quit for a while then start feeling really positive and happy and start drinking again then the cycle starts over. though this is the first time i've joined a forum. also things have gotten bad with my personal relationships so i kinda feel like i am really at the end of my tether this time.
Don't discount AA/NA until you at least give it a shot. Feeling akward is a heck of a lot better than being a drunk in my book. And I say that as a non AA member, i use SR as my main support.

Regardless of what method you choose, the most important part is for you to commit to it 100%. No recovery works if you don't embrace that you have a problem and go into it half-hearted. Most of us here have quit for a while and then tried to moderate, many of us multiple times. And for most it never works, we always end up back in our old ways. For me it took absolute committment that total sobriety was the only option.

Best of luck, thanks for joining, and please read a lot and ask lots of questions.