View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Florence

Taking care of a kitten sick experiencing diarrhea can be emotionally trying. Your kitten may be weak and tired from losing a lot of fluid from the diarrhea. And your kitten may have a poor appetite and not want to eat. But there are ways to help your kitten feel better while recuperating.

Eliminate the underlying bacterial or viral infection

Give your kitten extra fluids; chicken broth is good, but no soups with onions. Onions are harmful to felines.

Hold solid foods for a couple days to help the stomach calm down; gradually introduce solid foods back in the diet feed soft bland diet rice

Keep your kitten’s backside dry and clean; use moist cloths or baths if necessary

Mashed pumpkin and sweet potatoes can be great in helping to form solid stool. [AND NO CORN. Common cat allergen.]

Your kitten may need intravenous fluids if dehydration from diarrhea is severe.

Give medications for uncontrollable diarrhea. Do not, however, give anti-diarrheal meds for infections. Taking anti-diarrheal meds stops the body from eliminating infections.
And try giving them plain yogurt.

Are they going in the litter box? For giant, male, grown cats, I have one per cat. I think their preferences depend on their size. They are totally fine for now. I wouldn't worry unless they start showing weird behavior down the road.