Thread: Temptation
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Maylie

I would bring a bunch of really good books with me in case I need something to take my mind off a craving. I don't know where you are going, but try to keep your days busy even if it is getting away from the drinking and window shopping or taking walks when you need to get some fresh air and away from the temptation.

Do you have any family or friends that you can have on call if you start to really feel tempted? It helps to be able to pick up the phone and call someone to vent to, gossip/distract you, or just to talk some sense into you.

Many spouses say the "just because you can't drink doesn't mean I can't" thing. The only advice I have for that is try not to be around him when he is drinking and if the smell of it bothers you then one of you sleep on a couch, avoid hugs, and just put some space between you and him when he is drinking.

You can make it through 5 days! It might be tempting at times but this will make you stronger in your recovery. Think about how proud you will be and how empowered you will feel when you get back from your trip and you can say that you made it through a 5 day holiday without drinking! After making it through that, you will know you can resist temptation in any situation