Old 05-19-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
amy55

OMG, I just had to respond to this.

I went through a lot of similar things that you are going through, I'm still going through a lot of it, but by the end of this summer, things should be manageable by that time.

I bought a foreclosure, because that was all that I could afford. A raised ranch log cabin.

I already knew that I had a lot of work to do with the place. Knew that I had to replace the carpeting, remodel the kitchen. Knew the place had carpenter bees, but never really knew the damage that they did, and I purchased the house in February so I did not see them. Plus I figured that I am really quite handy, so I considered it a challenge, and something that will keep me busy for awhile.

So, I moved in..... Had no furniture except for some patio furniture. Used patio table as my kitchen table, outdoor (really old) lawn furniture for my living room. An air mattress for my bed, then eventually someone had given me an old bed that they had.

So, life is good, right????

Tried to contact my ex regarding the furniture that we had to see what I could take. I wasn't living there when the house was sold, and I didn't know what he did with the furniture. He told me that it is all gone, and that none of it was mine. Did find out later on that he put it in my daughters garage, but I am a stubborn one. I refused to take any of it. It is still sitting there, and I will not touch it, it would only remind me of what an "a$$" he is.

So I really was content with starting out new.

OK, first thing I had to do was to pull up all the rugs. The house did smell, they had 3 St Bernard dogs living in there. So my first surprise was, they had poured oil or something on the floors, and I had to replace the sub floors.

Not something that I really wanted to do, but, ok, I can work with this!!!!! I called at least 7 or 8 contractors to replace the sub floor. They either did not show at all when they said they would, did not call to say they wouldn't show, or they would show, would say that they would get back to me with an estimate, and then I never heard from them again.

This went on for weeks, and during this time, I would try to put whatever I could on the floors to try to get the oil up, nothing I did worked. Sunk into a really bad depression, my drinking got the worse then it ever was. I got up and started drinking instead of having my coffee, lunch was beer, dinner was some more beer, while I sat and looked at that oil.

Then I would see the army of carpenter bees. I would try to leave my house, and the swarm of carpenter bees forced me back into the house.

So here I am 5 months later, still sitting on patio furniture in my house, drinking, looking at oil, watching the ants, watching the bees, and its raining, and the rain water is flooding my kitchen, I am still living out of boxes, still didn't unpack anything, because "why unpack"?, it will just be more stuff to put away once I start working on the house.

It was now getting close to the winter coming. It's Sept, and I realize that I cannot live like this through a cold winter. I got out the phone book, made a list of all the contractors again. Made my mind up to call one a day. First one doesn't return phone call, second one makes appt to come over, doesn't show. Third one does show, does give me an estimate, does come back, does replace sub floor, does remodel my kitchen, does remodel my bathroom. He was "my angel". I even went to his wedding. I was the only client that he invited.

The carpenter bees and ants ----- well I had a lot of time on my hands, so I researched them. I did have an exterminator come over, but he didn't do it right. I bought the equipment, and I took care of them.

I still have many more problems, but since the other problems were taken care of, I refinanced my house, appraised value was a lot higher now with the other work done, and took a "cash out" on it, so that I could have the carpenter bee holes filled in, and the woodpecker holes filled, ( the woodpeckers came to get the carpenter bee larva, and let me tell you this, they can do a lot of damage, lol), house will be restained, deck will be fixed and stained, basement will be finished, and guess what? I can finally start to unpack !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It took me 2 years to get here, but I will finally have a real house.

Did get a kitchen set, also a living room set, a new bed, and will work on the other furniture when I have the money. But also, made a lot of really good friends during this process.

Lexie, you will get there, and your house will be beautiful. When I bought my house I looked at it somewhat as a "project". It needed help, but so did I, and we are healing together, and that is what makes it so special to me.