Old 05-18-2013, 06:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Genie

Antidepression Drugs and Alcohol Consumption

I am not sure if I am having a "light bulb" moment, but, after reading a several threads here on SR there appears to be a common theme - antidepressants increase the cravings for alcohol consumption.

I was prescribed Effexor 2 years ago after a nasty time with panic attacks and anxiety (one attack I landed in the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack - scary, scary, scary). So, I went on the Effexor and I didn't drink for over 3 months. I felt on top of the world and physically, I'd never been in better shape.

Then I raised a glass with my sister to celebrate the birth of her first grandchild and within a month or so I was consuming more alcohol than I'd ever done in the past. I was obsessive about it and that's when I started buying bottles to hide around the house (I'd never done that before). I was averaging about 2 bottles of wine a night and more on weekends when I was drinking socially (having primed myself alone).

I gained 30 pounds and became a soft, reddened blob. I'd read that Effexor is notorious for weight gain, so I decided to quit that drug. I quit it cold turkey. I went through hell for 2 weeks with brain zaps, aching joints, foggy head, just the most awful withdrawal symptoms. It took at least 4 weeks to get through the worst of it. Now, at 7 weeks the symptoms are gone.

I quit alcohol almost 2 weeks ago. I am already noticing that I am not so bloated. I've lost a few pounds. Right now, I am doing well with abstaining and I'm wondering whether quitting the effexor has helped?

Did anyone else notice an increase in alcohol consumption when on an antidepressant?

Thanks,
Genie