Thread: Time to change
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Winters

Time to change

After a night of very stupid decision making I have made the choice to quit drinking for good. I have been drinking since I was 14. Mainly I drink beer and wine. I drink roughly 3-4 days a week. 4-6 beers, or a bottle of wine, sometimes more. I am now 35, so ya, it is time for a change. I have joined this forum seeking support and understanding.

My main motivation to quit drinking is that I have a great life and I don't want to mess it up. When I drink I often do dumb things that are out of character for me. I got drunk the other night and decided to drive to the beach at midnight.(the beach is 2 hours away from where I live) I got lost, went swimming alone in the ocean at night, picked up a stranger in a bar,(I have been very happily married for 12 years) all this while wasted drunk. The next day I realized what the consequences of my choices could have been.

I could have drowned, been killed by a stranger, crashed my car
I could have killed someone else driving drunk
I could have lost me license and vehicle
I could have lost my business (I am a small business owner that has many family members dependent on me for their lively hood.)
I could have lost my relationship

I can never let something like this happen again. I feel so guilty I got away with just a horrible hangover. I don't act this dumb every time I drink but as long as I allow myself to drink at all I am running the risk of ruining my life, so I am done with it. Thanks for listening.