View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 10:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
MythOfSisyphus

Originally Posted by HibiscusMan View Post
We're never defeated 1stthing - all you can do is learn from your slip up and you'll be better equipped to deal with the beast next time. Looks like we're both starting out on day one and I wish you all the very best. Let's beat the beast together!
I agree! AVRT specifically says that relapses are part of addiction, not "recovery". But at the same time I think we need to acknowledge that humans are fallible. We make the same mistakes again and again despite the fact that we should know better. Or as one comedian said, "How come we believe it when we're told there are 100 billion start in the galaxy but we still have to touch the wet paint sign for ourselves?"

I don't believe that all your "good time" is undone when you slip. If you set aside the 12 step addiction disease model, then you have to accept that drinking is a choice. Or at least the first drink is. For whatever reason some of us have a very limited ability to moderate after we start. But not picking up the first one should be within everyone's power after some AVRT/CBT. Falling off the wagon doesn't mean we've invalidated the Big Plan, it means we f**ked up once! It doesn't mean we can't chose not to drink tomorrow.

Use this flub to improve next time. Use it as proof that you were right the first time when you realized you had to stop.

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
I think sometimes we need further proof that we really can't ever touch it. I spent many years attempting to use willpower to control what I drank. I was determined to be a social drinker - not sure why, since it wasn't fun or relaxing in the end. Once we step over that line from social to alcoholic drinking there's no going back. Hibiscus and lstthings - you are going to make it. Don't ever give up.
Agreed! We can get pretty cocksure after putting together a few months of success. That can lead to overconfidence. I myself haven't risked it yet but the thought has been whispered to me by my Beast Brain. You know the thoughts. You're better now! Surely one couldn't hurt you! You're cured! You could just get drunk this once since you're on vacation, it doesn't mean anything...

Is it possible that I could be "cured" and able to drink "normally" again? I dunno, I suppose it's possible. But the only way I could know for sure would be to try it, and in the past that's been a disaster. They say insanity is doing the same thing again and again but expecting different results.