View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 07:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Rugby8

My sponsor would call me just "a dry drunk" and tell me that I need to go to meetings and call him everyday and he would get all pissy and give me lectures when I didn't... I do have a family and I coach my son's sports and lead a very busy life. I don't think he understood that.

But doing AVRT has opened up (along with this site) a better way for me to stay sober. I'm thankful everyday that I don't drink and relish in how good I feel and the way I am getting healthy. The guilt of not being a "good" AA member was what drove me away and I think I started drinking again because I felt like a hopeless failure in AAs eyes... I just didn't fit in there. And the people there were sometimes nasty, petty and mean believe it or not. I felt like a total hypocrite because I don't believe in God and I never believed in any higher power. I felt like I was living a lie just walking into the church basement.

I have to do this on my own for my family and for me... and I'm doing just that. AVRT has helped immensely.