View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
EverySngleNight

Oh crap!!! Now what?

Okay (on day 4 not drinking, feeling better- NOT gonna drink!!), so the counseling coordinator I was waiting to hear from called me back. She's the person in charge of setting appointments with therapists. First question she asked, "is this substance abuse related?". Instinctively, I blurted out "No." Oh crap! I didn't mean to say that... But I did. Then she informs me I have to call in two weeks and she'll set me an appointment within the following 2 weeks of my return call. Thats a MONTH AWAY!!

Why did I say that?? I just didn't feel comfortable admitting that to a stranger that's not a therapist. :-( Also I have ADD-I. I'm very concerned they won't treat my ADD with the meds I need (and have been off of for about a year) if I go in under "substance abuse". But I do need my medication if I have any hope of making this stick. I have to be able to focus and start a new routine. Not easy with my disorder... Not at all. Now I don't know what to do. There was another doc I was going to call, maybe I should check if he's got sooner availability, see him, AND keep my appt for therapy too?? I could call back and explain... But trust me when I tell you- alcoholism and ADD share a very inconvenient thread- people debate it's existence #1, #2 everybody is an "expert", and #3 there is a TON of stigma attached. So I feel very guarded in who I'd like to work with or speak with openly. I've been through A LOT in the past working with docs who don't get it. Long story, for another time!

But what do I do now??