View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Carlotta
Behold the power of NO

Loving an alcoholic can be heartbreaking and after a while, we stop trusting them. It takes a while to rebuild trust. Alcoholism is a family disease, it does not affect just us but also those who care about us. There are good chances that your husband is a codependent (smelling you, checking out where you parked the car are all "micromanaging" controlling things that us codies do) and could probably benefit from going to CODA or Al Anon.
It seems that he is stuck at the stage of trying to control you and your drinking (even though you are now sober) and has not come to the realization that we (codependents) did not cause it, we cannot control it and we cannot cure it.
Think of him as a sick person too and just let it go. This is how your alcoholism has impacted him and your relationship, it will probably take time to mend. In time, he might or might not get help and hopefully he will learn to trust you again.

Edited to add, I am a double winner (alcoholic AND codependent). I have never gone through this as the alcoholic but I have been on the other side of the fence as the hurt, distrustful, completely out of my mind codependent partner.

PPS: and no matter what you do, do not let his lack of trust affect you and end up drinking AT him using his attitude as an excuse to pick up (like he is not supportive, I ll show him). You would only end up hurting yourself.