Old 05-14-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
PrincessValium

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
Welcome Princess. In my experience, most family members and friends are supportive when a loved one admits to having a problem. Not fighting the addiction would hurt your family; telling them about the issue and fighting to remove the addiction would probably making them very happy.

As a side note, can codeine be bought in Australia without a prescription? Another Australian member mentioned buying codeine.
Thank you to everyone for posting, I'm so lonely but to wake up and find these messages of support and understanding its helped me feel like I'm with friends. So thank you all for sharing your experiences with your families, it means more than I can say (or write )

Feenix, in Australia, well at least in New South Wales (the state I live in) codeine is available over the counter in combos with either ibuprofen or paracetamol. I've been using nurofen plus which is the codeine/ibuprofen one and the shame of carefully mapping out which chemist im going to visit every day hasn't stopped me from doing it. There are several within my area and each time I come up with some lame excuse, hoping its not the same pharmacist on. I've always got the fear that in the back of my mind one pharmacist is going to say to me "no, we know you're that girl who shops around, we ain't enabling you anymore" but even though I'm sure some suspect I'm an addict, I've never had a problem buying them.

My doctor has prescribed me panadeine forte to alleviate the chemist shopping in the short term - its got codeine with paracetamol, becaus of the damage ibuprofen can do to the stomach he felt it was the best option for now. My mum has the boxes hidden and will be giving the doctors' prescribed amount each day. In late June we'll most likely be looking at detox and hopefully rid my body of the codeine, Valium and tobacco (not allowed to smoke in detox here).

We're having a family meeting tonight, I guess I need to be proud of myself for being really honest with them but I wish I wasn't hurting them so much. It kills me to know that they're not sleeping well and their horror at what I've been up to.

Sorry for the long post again, the words just seem to pour out of me and before i know it have written nearly a book - this is the first place I've felt like I can be me after holding the truth in for so long

Peace, love and thoughts with you all here, together we can do this
Mia