View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
gwenny

I really want my brain back.

I am about two weeks sober after hitting it very hard for the last several years. I am also under contract for a book project that is very...let's say...cognitively taxing. It's a complex research project with a lot of moving parts. It's both super intellectually exciting and also incredibly frustrating, because so much of the time when I sit down to try to puzzle things out, it's like there is just static noise happening in my brain, a general fog where I feel like as soon as I grasp something it slips away again.

I guess general static with periodic moments of genuine insight is better than the truly appalling garbage I was spewing out when I would have drunken writing sessions, convinced that I was brilliant, just brilliant...and then would read it the next day and have no idea what the hell I was talking about. But man, some cognitive clarity would be pretty nice. I'm wondering if it will ever happen, and what if anything I can do to help things along (I am trying to do all the right things, get plenty of sleep, eat well, work out, and meditate...just generally to feel better and hopefully give my neurons a little cuddle, too.) Anyway, I'm just curious about various experiences you all have had with this phenomenon...obviously it is different for everyone but I just wonder about general parameters.