View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 05:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Arbigyle

Originally Posted by terribob View Post
A greater power can be very personal. I have to agree that no one at AA should push any greater power. Do you have other meetings that you can attend?
No, I have tried them all in a 30 mile radius. They mean well, they seem as though they are not remembering what the big book says. They just pick and choose the suggestions they like. It makes me feel uncomfortable sometimes.

Example: I said something to the effect of, "How do I forget or unlearn science and theory? I need proof there is a god or power greater than me."

A gentleman told a story of a guy like me. He said the guy was a skeptic and said he would just try this praying thing for a while...he said "I will pray for the sunglasses I lost." So this guy goes to a gas station and the the attendant found his sunglasses and returned them.

He is now a Christian. I said, "The only thing I want from this story is proof, I wanna talk to these two men."

Then another gentleman butted in and said(in redneck voice), "You know humans wrote those science books, worms and dirt did not make man, GOD did." I replied, "Humans wrote the bible as well." I cross-talked :/

So another gentleman told me to make a list of things that I would want from a higher power and pray to that piece of paper. The worm and dirt gentleman, coughed and said "********".

A week later they had a talk with this guy about respecting others belief or non-belief.