View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Caldus

Hi Jeni,

I relate a lot to what you're saying. I'm a very shy person in general and the idea of sharing my story in front of my home group members plus other visitors is extremely scary to me as well. I have a hard enough time even calling other people in the group or sharing what is actually going on in my head with my sponsor. I still have yet to give a lead at my main home group meeting as well and I'm coming up on 9 months sober. Every other person in my group has given a lead at one point even if they were only 60 days in or whatever. Of course, I projected that on to myself and it made myself feel inferior to everyone else. I guess all I can say is that I get what you're going through. I know what my sponsor tells me is right but of course I don't want to do it - he says you just have to do it at some point.

Put it this way ... were you afraid to even attend a meeting when you were first trying to get sober? Eventually, you walked into the rooms anyway even though you were nervous. And now you're comfortable being in there every time even if you don't share a whole lot. At one time, you were not even comfortable doing that, right? Well, now you take that leap again with giving a lead.