View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
paul99
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I think there are things that we do in AA that everyone has a fear of in one way or another, at some point or other. I enjoy talking in front of small and large crowds (teaching, AA, work, etc), but I was petrified when I sponsored my first guy. It's a piece of cake for me to chair a meeting, but being treasurer gives me willy nillies. But, if asked, I would do it - as long as someone helped me. There are a lot of things I sometimes don't want to do, but I do it, because I know it will help me grow. I spent my whole life doing things I didn't want. Selfishness, self-centered. So I have to walk through some of my fears - and find they aren't as bad as I thought they were.

You aren't forced to speak if you don't want. But I think it would be a shame to skip your medallion and even stop going to meetings. I think that fear, in another guise, is going to rear itself up again. The more I walk through fears (small and not so small), the less fearful I am the next time I face something unsavoury.