Old 05-12-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
aquamanerik

Old timer in AA said I dont deserve to be sober we're all selfish and self centered?

I left an AA meeting today and felt okay when I went in but felt bad after leaving.This "old timer" an old man (I'm guessing 65-70 years old) who had supposedly been off alcohol for over 10 years said we are all selfish and self centered and none of us deserve to be sober.
There were a couple brand new to AA people there and that was the kind of talk that way back when I was 1st checking out AA and still drinking made me feel bad about myself and kept me from feeling like I could get any help from there and I continued to drink feeling like I was inferior and hopeless.I've been sober for 3 years now and have been around long enough to where I dont think that the one size fits all model of what the main guy who wrote the "Big Book" (that is the AA bible which was copyrighted about 75 years ago) which I believe he modeled after himself is as applicable today as it was then.Even back then it probably was'nt but I think that the primary writer did about as good as he could way back then.
I hear this kind of talk a lot esp from older members but is it really so?