View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Louise82
Faith and reason

1stepup, congrats on 5 days and very well done for coming back.

I was just rereading the first couple of pages of 'How it Works' and the bit about being fearless and thorough from the very beginning really jumped out at me. I'm 6 weeks back from a slip after 6 weeks dry and in AA. I believe part of the reason I drank is because I wasn't being fearless and thorough with the program. I think it's important that we are fearless and thorough in diving into the program. Such an attitude will help us get and stay sober.

When I was getting a sponsor, people advised me to listen out in the rooms for shares and chairs I liked, to observe whether those people were working a good program and living the steps. If you decide to move on from your former/current sponsor, thank him for all his help and ask a person such as the one I've described to be your sponsor. Perhaps you already have a potential new sponsor in mind from what you've heard and seen during your previous times in the rooms?

I have ended up with a great sponsor. I'm letting her dictate the pace at which we do the steps as she knows best, she has the experience and I trust her. A sponsor who's right for you will know at what pace you should be working the steps.

I know what you mean about going back to the rooms. After my slip I felt so ashamed, guilty and embarrassed but I went back to the rooms and was honest in my shares about my slip and the response from the fellowship was one of love and understanding. I think being honest helps in this regard so well done for being honest every time you've come back in.

The first bit of How it Works also emphasizes the importance of rigorous honesty. I'm starting to realize that even now I'm not honest enough, neither with myself nor the fellowship (in terms of how I feel day-to-day, how I'm coping, my step work etc.) I believe that getting really, really honest will help keep me sober.

All the best and keep posting to let us know how you're going!