Old 05-12-2013, 02:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
DesperadoBlond
Memberado

Hi Bigsombrero!

THANKS!

How true! I DO try to do fun little things now that I am sober. Going to art exhibits and sitting for an hour in a park reading a book.
It's hard getting used to actually enjoying little things like that, because I have ben incapable of doing so for as long as I can remember.

I don't think I've ever been to a museum or such and actually enjoyed what I was seeing there - instead I spend the time stressed out about what I am REALLY supposed to be doing.

But yes, an AA friend too is big on telling me this: you need to get "sober references".

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
When I was a drinker, I viewed alcohol as "instant fun - in a can!" Every twinge of boredom vanished when I picked up the bottle. After years of this behavior, I became used to a "quick fix" to liven up my day, or to lighten up tough times. Alas, as a non-drinker, there is no instant remedy to cure our ambivalence. Or so you think.

I am a few months ahead of you and I have started feeling a lot better, emotionally. One thing that helped me was creating new sober experiences in order to build sober memories. I went to a famous art museum, I traveled, I went to the top of the tallest building in North America, etc. These are AWESOME things that I really enjoyed, I was sober the whole time and very engaged. The more memories I collected, the more often I stopped equating boredom with sobriety. My sobriety was not to blame for my boredom - I was!