View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 02:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FeelingGreat
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Chilled, now that you've reached that point of being sick to death of your lifestyle, the only thing holding you back is fear of doing without alcohol in your life. I was the same; I couldn't imagine not having the comfort of that first drink, the rush it gave me, and the habits I got into, looking forward to starting every night. But like you, I came to the point where I knew if I didn't stop I would cross a line in my health and emotional life, and I didn't like what was on the other side. Once I accepted I had to stop, it still took me a couple of weeks to build up the motivation. I talked to my regular doctor, and read lots online to educate myself. I didn't cut down at all because I couldn't and I knew that it had to be total abstinence.
Honestly, making that final decision was the hardest part. There were cravings, and strong pulls to go back to my old habits, but I was able to overcome them with a variety of strategies, and reading and posting on SR.
So make a plan, have a variety of strategies for when it gets hard, keep posting here and give it a try. It will make a huge positive difference to your life.